December 10, 2016
THE NATIONAL SHOOTING AUTHORITY EXPELS SINGAPORE RIFLE ASSOCIATION
1. The Singapore Shooting Association (SSA), the national shooting authority, has voted at the Extraordinary General Meeting held earlier today to expel the Singapore Rifle Association (SRA) as its constituent ordinary member as SSA has concluded that SRA no longer has the best interest of the shooting fraternity at heart and adjudges it as an organization that is not in good standing with SSA. The SRA representatives were present at the Extraordinary General Meeting.
2. With immediate effect, SRA and its members cease to be part of SSA and will no longer be able to enjoy the rights and privileges accorded to the constituent members of SSA.
3. Over the past 18 months or so, SRA has consistently demonstrated that it does not agree with SSA on various key issues and has persistently undermined SSA’s work as the national shooting authority. Through its numerous actions including pursuing legal actions against SSA and its officials, and its refusal to comply with duly passed SSA Council resolutions and settle overdue payments owed to SSA, SRA has attempted to weaken SSA by distracting it from its mission and draining its limited financial resources.
4. The expelled SRA has been offered an option which it would need to exercise within the next 14 days to be considered for re-admittance into SSA as an associate member with no voting rights with the conditions that it ceases all legal actions against SSA and its official, and that it settles all its dues immediately.
5. The affected individual members of SRA can choose to become the members of the other constituent members of SSA in order to continue to enjoy the associated rights and privileges, subject to the approval of the respective constituent members.
6. The guns and ammunitions belonging to SRA and its members are currently locked up in one of armouries at the National Shooting Centre under the direction of the Singapore Police and the Sport Singapore. This arrangement will remain until further notice by the authorities. The Police investigations into the guns without valid licences seized on February 4, 2016 are still ongoing.
7. For more information, please contact SSA at 6795-3760.